Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Interview | Emily von Euw

Emily has a well known blog This Rawsome Vegan Life, which properly sums up the content. Beautiful, vibrant photography and her wonderful writing invites you in as if you already know her, as if she's your next door neighbor ecstatic to share her kitchen alchemy with you. I adore people that have this quality to them, call it effervescent or contagious but it never fails to put a smile on my face. 

I don't write much about my food allergies, but it has really become a constant in my life that prevents me from going out to eat without fear of contamination or getting ill. So I am very grateful for bloggers like Emily who provide us with ridiculously delicious recipes that are healthy, organic, and allergen friendly and plant based. I believe nature is the greatest tool for any artist and Emily's creations are visual proof of this. She recently came out with a book that I can't wait to get, as I am working on building up a recipe book collection 

While I completely believe that everyone should consume what heals + works for them, I firmly attest to that fact that everyone should definitely incorporate as much organic, plant based foods whenever possible. Please check out This Rawsome Vegan Life 

Who are you + what do you do
My parents gave me the name Emily von Euw. I have been on this planet for 20 years, inhabiting the city of Vancouver in British Columbia, Canada – it’s a beautiful, vibrant place (though it doesn’t get as much sun as I would like). I am a participant in the universe, child of the stars, sister of the moths and mother of the trees. I am a brother to the wolves and father to the berries. I am organic and happy and sad and confused and nostalgic and present and curious and floating and cemented and bursting with ancient new life. Who knows where I came from.

I do a bit of everything: writing, reading, yoga, meditation, music, painting, dreaming, crying, laughing, university (history, philosophy, humanities, archaeology, geography, geology, psychology, etc.), kissing, running, sitting still… but I am most well-known for creating a blog called This Rawsome Vegan Life, wherein I make, photograph and share my own raw vegan recipes with the wonderful world and all the kind people in it. I have also just had my first book published called Rawsome Vegan Baking which focuses on raw vegan gluten-free desserts. People seem to like what I have to share, so I am eternally grateful that this will probably be able to be my “job”, although truly it’s simply my passion.

How did you get involved with holistic/organic living?
It is the logical place to end up, and I try my best to be a rational creature whenever I can. It’s the intelligent choice to lead a lifestyle that is cruelty-free, sustainable and healthy. I mean, we all like peace, right? We all want the planet to be in good condition for our children, yes? We all want to feel and look our best, correct? I’d answer affirmatively to all those questions and so that is why I follow a whole foods, organic, plant-based, mostly raw diet.  




Tell us a bit about the book you just released! Will there be a follow up?
Oh, yay! I am still so excited to talk about it. I was blessed enough that my publisher - a subsidiary of Macmillan - found me through my “popular” (hah) blog and asked me if I wanted to write a book with them. Of course I said yes! Whatta dream come true. Although a book was on my mind, it was a far-off goal and not necessarily a realistic one (in my mind). I wrote the book in four months, thankfully right when I was on summer break from university. There were then several months of post-writing work to be done, and it was finally published around the world a few weeks ago! It has already sold out of the first printing, and I cannot tell you how joyful this makes me. Not only because it means people are appreciating my work, but more so because it means people are grabbing on with a passion to vegan living! I am an optimist about the future and firmly believe the world is becoming more and more conscious as a species as time progresses.

I am writing my second book right now, and it is all about juices, smoothies and healthy snacks. I am very excited to share this one with the world because although if you look at my blog you will assume I eat only raw cookies and cake, the majority of my diet is juice and smoothies; so it shows more of the bulk of my daily food regime. Smoothies can save the planet.

What projects are you currently working on? + How will you celebrate Spring season?
I am working on new recipes (always), promoting my first book, writing my second book, attending school (final exams are coming up!), and trying to maintain a social life and a fresh, blooming romantic relationship. I am going to celebrate Spring by sharing some special recipes on my blog, soaking up as much sun and outdoor adventures as possible, eating banana ice cream, laughing with friends, and travelling around the continent.

Do you have a morning routine?
I am a Virgo, so I am ALL about routine and list-making. My morning routine is: wake up, think about the day and take a few deep breaths, drink filtered water, splash face and brush teeth, stretch, exercise, yoga, make a smoothie or juice and then wait until I am hungry again to gorge on organic fruits. I will then go to school, the farmers market or busy myself around the house depending on the day.



How do you spend your free time?
As touched on above, I do a great many things that give me joy. I love listening to records, cuddling other animals (human and otherwise), dancing late into the night (or anytime, really), crying about the elegance of the universe, hugging trees, reading (currently getting through Kurt Vonnegut), writing down poetry and thoughts, creating art (usually as gifts for loved ones), making and eating ALL the food… mostly organic fruit, raw chocolate and kale, asking questions about the meanings of life/ death., walking around the surface of the earth and being conscious of my role in it... The list never ends.  

Your blog is a compilation of delicious plant-based recipes and health tips, what are some tips you can share for people to implement more fresh healthy meals in their life?
Get rid of all the junk food in your home. Replace it with healthful whole foods that don’t bring about any guilt, only happiness. Stock your fridge with fresh vegetables, fruits, leafy greens, homemade hummus and nut milk, coconut water, almond yogurt, nuts and seeds. Stock your cabinets with organic tea, dried fruit, cacao powder, coconut oil, coconut nectar, oats, beans, quinoa and whole grains. Experiment with raw vegan entrees, desserts, sauces and soups and buy some whole food cookbooks to try out in the kitchen. Visit your local farmers market and talk to the farmers there, asking questions. Hit up your local health food store and do the same. Buy local and organic when you can afford it. Buy an inexpensive blender and have a fruit smoothie every morning (blend a banana with some frozen berries, and orange and some almond milk). For an easy and delicious meal: steam some vegetables and serve with a cashew “cheese” sauce or spicy peanut sauce, and brown rice noodles… with a raw vegan dessert to finish. Wink wink. (Just google any of those things to find recipes.)

What are some beauty tips + favorite places to shop?
Here is my “beauty” regime (although my opinion is that my whole lifestyle is a beauty regime, you are what you eat! I also exercise regularly): I wash my face every morning with a mix of jojoba, avocado and castor oils. Google “oil cleansing method” for more info on this. This also acts as my moisturizer. I sometimes use baking soda as a facial scrub. I splash my face with rosewater often. I moisturize my body with coconut oil and sometimes shea or cacao butter, scented with lavender and vanilla. I clean my teeth with baking soda on a bamboo toothbrush and use sesame oil as a mouth wash. Google “oil pulling” for more on this. I clean my hair with baking soda (“shampoo”) and apple cider vinegar (“conditioner”). I don’t usually wear make-up but when I do, it is from Earth Lab, Arbonne, or Urban Decay. My fave body products are from Just the Goods and Ellovi. I love to shop at The Soap Dispensary here in Vancouver.


Favorite books/online reading material
The classic: Leo Tolstoy, Virginia Woolf, Kurt Vonnegut, William Faulkner, J.D. Salinger, William Golding, Ayn Rand, Henry David Thoreau, Hermann Hesse, Sylvia Plath, Franz Kafka, George Orwell, Aldous Huxley, Gabriel Garcia Marquez… I love it all. When I am not in the mood to read deep, thought-provoking literature, I enjoy philosophy, non-fiction about nutrition, the nature of the universe and history.

Top 5 Necessities (can be culinary, clothing, makeup, etc.) for health
Coconut oil. 
Bananas. 
My record player and collection. 
My current beau. 
My cat, Dante. – and sunshine! That was 6 or 7 but shhh.

For those who want live cleaner what are some tips?
Understand that you deserve it. Also look at my answer to the similar question above.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Living in Costa Rica or somewhere else sunny, in my tiny house on wheels with a pet pig and a human I love; along with an organic garden… and wi-fi so I can keep doing the blog. I cherish the simple life.


You live where + recommend these places for travel
I reside near Vancouver, BC, Canada and highly recommend you come hang out with me. I’ll give you hugs and raw vegan brownies. But also I LOVE Vancouver Island, especially Tofino and the gulf islands around Van Island. The majestic West Coast landscape holds a big piece of my heart in its dark, misty clutches. Most of Canada is pretty damn beautiful, and the lesser populated areas of the US are gorgeous as well. I haven’t been anywhere else, really. Although, I would love to travel much farther north, maybe to Alaska; and also much farther south… like Costa Rica.

Dream Vision Board: what would your ideal day consist of?
Sunny, warm weather. Hiking up a small mountain with my lover and animal companions to enjoy a fruit picnic on top. Hiking back down, having a bath together. Going to a farmers market, an art gallery or used book store. Reading poems and listening to records. Making love and dinner. Watching a documentary about ancient civilizations or a Kubrick movie. Going dancing. Rubbing myself down with coconut oil and meditating before slipping into a freshly made bed. Drifting off to sleep to enter my subconscious world. I think I’ll do all that this weekend.

One piece of advice
Do what works for you, as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely and inspiring interview..And I get inspired to put even geater care into what I eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! I heart Em, too! And I LOVE this blog!! I cant wait to read all the interviews and enjoy everything else offered here =-) Beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete