Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Embracing the Wild; Winter Begins.

This year has taught me who I am and what I want to pursue. I spent the better part of this year wondering & discovering what made me feel alive & what I really wanted to be doing: raise awareness about the environment and animal welfare, to develop genuine friendships, being of use to others, learning the science, alchemy and folklore of health, encouraging others to pursue their own passions. You can remain dormant; sleeping for only so long. I was born a warrior, wild by heart and dreamer by nature.

I think about wolves in the wild who have had their land taken away, their numbers diminished. Elephants who happy to be very emotional creatures but are rescued since their lives hang in the balance as they are viciously hunted for parts of their anatomy. I think of forests that should bloom and serve as a sanctuary for many different species and the determined people who fight to keep them protected. Sustainable farmers who get sued by bigger unethical corporations on the basis of money, not quality. I think about people who were not given the opportunity to get an education. I think about how close in proximity we are to one another, physically and technologically and how we can help ourselves and the environment survive & thrive.

Winter is frigid & cold; a time of repose and reflection. This New Years Eve I will look back at all these lessons I have learned & at my accomplishments. I will make cider, cook a small plant-based feast and light candles to illuminate the dark as I look inward. I will move forward to pursue my own dreams disguised as goals, raising awareness to embrace the wild. Go for a walk in the forest if you are lucky enough to live near one. Visit a farmers market and get to know the people behind your sustenance, if you are blessed to have an animal companion - cherish your time with them, avoid products that test on animals, volunteer somewhere, anywhere!

Have experiences. This year has shown me that life will go on with or without you so don't let  "time" slip by: pursue what makes your heart sing, create memories, become your own source of inspiration and cherish what you do have, instead of believing you are unfulfilled. Make others, especially nature and it’s creatures happy, but most importantly do whatever makes you happy and feel “alive”

breakfast
fox painting in progress.
baby puppy
paper wolves.
treasures.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do....Sail away from the safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

No comments:

Post a Comment