Saturday, December 31, 2016

Where I Am Now / New Years Manifestations


Its unbelievable to think how much can change and happen in a year.

Personally its surpassed my wildest dreams. As I look back on the list I had made last December, several of the concepts I wanted to manifest or invite more of in my life seemed to materialize in various ways. I discovered mindfulness, became enamored with the principles of cognitive awareness, I let go off expectations and doubts,  I became more in tune with what I wanted and pursued my own adventures. I did reach my academic goals and my perseverance certainly paid off. Although I didn't wake up at dawn so much as find sleep at night-owl hours (to be addressed). On a personal level I feel full with serenity and ease. There were several points this year where I experienced epiphanies and confronted my fears in order to better my self & health. 

I found alignment with what I want to produce as a writer & maker. Discovering Lauren Singer & her “zero waste” principles along with participating in the Project Green Challenge allowed me to be creative and perhaps rediscover my passion and the content I wish to produce. I want to inspire others to live & thrive consciously as well as being kind to our precious earth and each other. This platform  will serve as a guidebook & community for sustainable living, zero waste, and the conscious consumer.  In the new year I am excited to work with more companies, makers, and folk who align with these values as well. 
  
http://violet-woods.blogspot.com

2017 Manifestations

The art of slow living / Where zero waste was my catalyst in this current year, I am ready to transcend and disconnect from the hyperactive lifestyle that dominates much of our everydayness. We lose focus and detail in the created rush of needing to complete and can end up depleting us. Inspired by a recent podcast featuring Beth Kirby (Local Milk) who is a pioneer on “slow living”. We gain enrichment by slow-living which is truly about being mindful whether its n your work, life, or creating. To promote quality over immediacy, to savor experiences by recording them by being present. I am a burst of energy so “slow living doesn't come naturally to me but when I consider what I desire more of in my life, the answer is to have a life well lived: sustainably, conscientiously, productively.  Read more about slow-living here as well as the Danish concept of “hygge” which is ““creating a warm atmosphere and enjoying the good things in life with good people” or experiencing joy in the little things. 


Chase down goals /  Sometimes we may expect opportunities to happen by chance, and sometimes they might but I am ready to tap into my creativity and innovation to go after what I want to materialize. We have to make moves in order to reach goals but this doesn't need to mean pressuring yourself or doubting your potential – by building up assertiveness and learning from what goes well, or doesn't go well, is a better perspective that will enable us to continue flourishing. Jessica Murnane of the One Part Podcast has great episodes on this featuring Mckel Hill & Amanda Chantal Bacon

http://violet-woods.blogspot.com

Seek experiences / This year gave me the pleasure of engaging in more wanderings & meanderings: concerts in Silverlake, farmers market hopping, trips to the ocean cities, and driving a mini boat (terribly). In the coming year I long to invest more in experiences and some travel. In the past I have avoided this because of my autoimmune condition that required planning out and downtime but I know I can overcome it gracefully. 

Read more / this need not a lengthy explanation. Reading is my method of reconnecting to my inner child – the activity I did so often to escape, unwind, and feel. Even in the age of technology my favorite part of university were my breaks where I’d sneak off into the computer lab to read or write.

Seek out biodynamic food / similar to organic farming, biodynamic farming doesn't rely on synthetic chemical pesticides, fertilizers. The farming methods must meet the National Organic Program standard and farmers use regenerative, local sources instead of exporting in materials. Finding biodynamic food doesn't mean you must visit farms, the number of companies that are Demeter USA certified (nonprofit formed promote Biodynamic practices) are growing - just look for the label in natural health food stores. Additionally visit the locator to find products and retailers in your area.

http://violet-woods.blogspot.com


Grow more / I will be focusing on cultivating a mini garden – this is easier said than done but not impossible. This is one aspect of m life that I will choose to put a bit of money in – think LED or solar grow lights and hopefully a mini potting area. But my goal is to be more sustainable and grow my own food and perhaps even compost.

Nightly unwinding / the moment my head hits the pillow is my moment of clarity and peace. Maybe some will disagree with me on this but for me this is the optimal time to unwind by thinking about what I wish to achieve and bring forth. I don't do this in a frantic or worrying way, but rather it's an alternate meditation of letting my guard down and focus on tomorrow in a positive light in hopes I will carry on that same momentum when I awake.

Live with less / in all honesty having too many things exhausts me. With the exception of books and pieces of natures (crystals, flowers, & herbs) Of course de-cluttering is nothing new but I don't like being surrounded with so many objects that aren’t of use to me. With the exception of a few products that I have to use up, I’ve already replaced and donated most plastic in my home. 2017 will be centered on needing less and discovering sustainable swaps. What I no longer need will be donated or recycled properly.

http://violet-woods.blogspot.com

Live the life you love / I don't think we often hear this but perhaps we should. It's akin to an incantation or fortune that has been there all along. Find what drives you. Ask yourself what are you passionate about? Then assess how to get there or make it happen. This can be on a career, personal or self-care level. Check in with yourself throughout the year - are you following your purpose and taking care of yourself? Even if you are working through a situation or area that isn't completely fulfilling make sure to find ways to integrate activities or time for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment